- Upper ocean heat annual average did not increase from 2004-2009
- This means that global warming halted during this time period.
- There is no other way to spin this data.
- The Skeptical Science site statement, "The most recent ocean measurements show consistent warming” is false
- The ocean heat content provides the most appropriate metric to diagnose global warming in recent and upcoming years
- The Skeptical Science statement, Claims that the ocean has been cooling are correct. Claims that global warming has stopped are not "illustrates their lack of understanding of the physics. If ocean cooling does occur, it DOES mean global warming has stopped during that time period."
For a physical explanation why the oceans have not heated due to accumulating 'greenhouse gases' see Why greenhouse gases won't heat the oceans. Also see the recent NASA study stating “Our study concludes the long-term warming trend seen in the central Pacific is primarily due to more intense El Niños, rather than a general rise of background temperatures.” , Oceans are cooling according to NASA, and Recent cooling of the upper ocean.