I shot one photo of the audience of mostly aging-hippie-types, before being told photos, video, and audio recording were prohibited. About 150 people attended the public event, but at least 25% of the seats in the theater were empty. The lady who sat down next to me immediately said "if there are any climate deniers here, I'm going to smack them," and then proceeded to sleep through most of the event. I was surprised that there were so few Generation-Y college-age attendees at the UCLA Hammer Museum, apparently not too much concern about the whole "inter-generational justice" climate change thing Mann discussed.
- Started presentation claiming the evidence for AGW is "straightforward and not controversial."
- Said CO2 levels have not been as high as today for "several million years" [debunked]
- Said there are multiple lines of evidence for AGW, using the repeatedly debunked image from SkS
- Claimed IPCC report is "conservative" and that climate scientists are "conservative" in their projections of climate change
- Said natural variation cannot explain recent climate change [debunked]
- Said climate change we are allegedly experiencing now is "dangerous" and we will soon be inhabiting a "different planet"
- Said with "business as usual" there will be 4-5C warming by 2100, and 8-10C warming in the Arctic [debunked]
- Said use of polar bears as the "poster child" for AGW was a "mistake" because it gave the "false impression that climate change is a distant thing" despite it allegedly happening "everywhere"
- Said he doesn't have to convince the people in the audience from Southern California that climate change is real: "just look at the historic drought" [debunked]
- Claimed flooding from Florida king tides (which are controlled by gravitation from the Moon and Sun and have occurred for millennia) "used to happen only once a year," but allegedly due to AGW, "will happen once a month."
- Said due to climate change, the surge from Sandy was 13 feet instead of 12 feet and that this caused flooding of an extra 25 miles inland [debunked]
- Claimed sea level rise of 3-6 feet by 2100 [debunked]
- Discussed his Scientific American article on 2036 doomsday scenario [debunked]
- Said "California drought was made worse" by climate change, and is "the worst ever seen" [debunked]
- Said Senator Inhofe, Heartland Institute, Republicans in general, and "climate deniers" are all allegedly funded by the Koch brothers.
- Said Inhofe was scheduled to give a speech at a Heartland meeting, but had to cancel because he was ill from swimming in a lake with an algal bloom due to "unprecedented heat in Oklahoma" (implying that was man-made)
- Showed his thoroughly debunked hockey stick [containing 'Mike's trick to hide the decline'] and called it an "icon" of the IPCC that is now part of a "veritable hockey league" of other "hockey sticks" since "every study says recent temperatures are unprecedented." [debunked]
- Said you don't even need his hockey stick to know that AGW is real because of the greenhouse effect described [incorrectly] by Arrhenius in 1896.
- Says the Republicans get their climate science from a journal...(long pause)..."The Wall Street Journal"
- Said Republicans are "the party of anti-science"
- Said the only debate Congress should be having is "how to deal with this problem, and not pretend the problem doesn't exist"
- Showed the picture of his daughter at an aquarium with a polar bear diving for a fish behind her, as Anthony has already commented upon. Using this picture as a prop, said AGW is a problem of "intergenerational ethics" and that he didn't want his daughter to one day have to tell her kids that "polar bears used to exist, but we damaged their home."
- With that tear-jerker of an ending, Mann finished his presentation.
Additional notes on Mann's responses to written questions from the audience (which were first carefully filtered by the moderator):
- Said "scientists are the most conservative people on the planet" and that "science has self-correcting machinery." Said that if a scientist commits fraud or makes a mistake, "you'll be found out" by other scientists, and that one "gets ahead in science by proving other people wrong" [conveniently failing to mention that Mann himself is potentially the most "caught out" scientist in history, by McIntyre & McKitrick, Wegman and the NAS, Richard Mueller, John Christy, and many others].
- Said that "for thousands of scientists to conspire and the oceans and atmosphere to play along" would be necessary for AGW to be a "hoax"
- Said climate skeptics "are not real skeptics," they are just "denialists"
- Said the IPCC claims "are as certain as science can be about anything"
- Said "in many ways, China and India are ahead of us on fighting climate change"
- Said there's no reason why renewables can't replace fossil fuels
- Said Koch brothers are funding ALEC and the "campaign of denial"
- Said North Carolina is trying to "outlaw Teslas"
- Said CO2 lifetime in the atmosphere is "centuries" and that even if man-made emissions completely stopped now, warming would continue for "centuries" [debunked]
- Said CO2 emissions must be reduced 5-10% per year starting now, that he said that many years ago, "but I'm really serious this time!" [accompanied by Cheshire smile]
- Said Exxon is planning for a carbon tax of $60/ton, meanwhile "funding the disinformation campaign"
- In answer to audience question, "Can capitalism be defeated to stop the destruction of the natural world?" [which received applause from the UCLA aging-hippie-commie audience], Mann said it was the other speaker's turn to answer.
- Said there are 5 times more fossil fuels available than necessary to warm the planet by 2C, which if all were burned, would allegedly warm the planet 10-14C
- Said "we are already seeing dangerous climate change"
Following the presentations and questions, the fake-Nobelist went to the lobby for book signings [the back cover of which says he shared the Nobel Peace Prize], guarded by 3 heavily-armed UCLA police officers nearby [I've attended many other events in this same theater and never seen any UCLA police officers at any other events].
|The great Mann smiling for a fan
|Perhaps 20-25 attendees bought Mann's book for signing .
I asked if I could stand in the line to ask Dr. Mann a question without having to buy his book first, and was told no.
On the way to the theater parking lot, I noticed the bicycle rack was empty, and the anti-capitalism and anti-fossil fuel attendees driving off in their fossil-fueled vehicles.
Michael Mann loses the Nobel Prize – again
Exclusive Report from UCLA: Michael Mann stunned when asked about Nobel prize fakery